A spin on the classic green bean and almond salad. You could use any kind of grain or toasted nut in this recipe, which makes it even more versatile.
• 1 tsp. fine sea salt
• 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
• 2 lb. haricots verts or thin green beans, trimmed
• 3 tbsp. all-natural unsweetened almond butter
• 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 3 cups cooked red rice or brown rice, cooled
• 2/3 cup almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
• 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
• Freshly ground black pepper
Set up a steamer. Steam the green beans, tightly covered, until just cooked through but not limp,
7 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool. The beans can be cooked the day before.
In a large salad bowl, whisk together the almond butter, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar and salt.
Add the cooked beans and turn them gently in the dressing to coat. Stir in the rice. Taste and
adjust the seasoning. The salad may be made a few hours in advance up to this point. Cover
Just before serving, add the chopped almonds and parsley, sprinkle with black pepper,
and toss to combine.
Yield: Serves 6