Summer Squash and Red Rice Salad with Lemon and Dill
BY MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN
During the hot summer months, cook rice in double batches so that you’ll have it on hand for
refreshing whole-grain salads. I like to mold this in a ramekin.
• 3/4 pound long summer squash, preferably a mix of green and yellow, sliced very thin
• Salt to taste
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 1/4 cups cooked red rice, either Thai jasmine, Thai sticky or Bhutanese
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
• 2 tablespoons lightly toasted pine nuts (15 grams)
• 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced or chopped, or 1/4 cup chopped chives
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• Freshly ground pepper
1. Slice the squash as thinly as you can. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 15 to 30 minutes. Rinse and drain on paper towels.
2. Mix together 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice and the garlic. Toss with the squash. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Remove the squash from the refrigerator and remove the garlic clove. If you want a garlicky dressing, purée the garlic and add it to the remaining lemon juice. Otherwise, discard the garlic. Whisk together
the remaining lemon juice and the olive oil with salt and pepper to taste.
4. In a salad bowl, combine the squash and whatever liquid is in the bowl, the rice, dill and pine nuts. Toss with the dressing, taste and adjust seasoning, and serve.
Yield: 4 to 6 Servings
This will keep for a day in the refrigerator, but the bright greens will fade because of the lemon juice.
Nutritional information per serving (4 servings):
300 calories; 16 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 11 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 36 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber;
10 milligrams sodium (does not include salt to taste); 5 grams protein
Nutritional information per serving (6 servings):
200 calories; 11 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 7 grams
monounsaturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 24 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber;
7 milligrams sodium (does not include salt to taste); 3 grams protein